Wind Blown's Week of Recipes
Monday: Chicken enchiladas and bag salad
Ella's personal take on Naptime Kitchen’s Creamy Chicken Enchiladas:
Note: We are going to use the leftovers from this to make our soup for Wednesday!
- 16 ounces (2 cups) sour cream
- Optional: 1 can corn (drained)
- 1 can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2-3 bell peppers (any color but green)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. salt
- Approx. 14-18 tortillas
- 2 c shredded Mexican cheese
- 2 jars of salsa verde which are 12 oz. (can sub regular salsa if you can’t find salsa verde, I get this at Trader Joe’s) Could also sub 1 large jar!
- 1 large can of green enchilada sauce
- 1 taco seasoning packet
- 1 family pack of chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp cooking oil (I use olive oil but any would work)
- Large pan (9x13 etc) (I use either a Pyrex or aluminum one from the dollar store)
- Slice bell peppers, and onion.
- Dump chicken thighs, sliced onion and peppers, taco seasoning, salsa verde, and salt into slow cooker. Cook for 4-6 hours on low. I use an Instant Pot and do 17 minutes on high pressure and then quick release.
- Once the chicken is done, shred the chicken. Then, using a slotted spoon, put half of the chicken in a bowl. It’s okay if it’s a little juicy — you just want most of the liquid off. Store the rest of the contents in the slow cooker (juice and all) in a container (that’s part of the soup for Wednesday night!).
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- In the bowl with the chicken mix in the can of drained beans, sour cream, 1 cup of cheese, and corn (if desired!).
- Put about ⅓ cup of mixture into a tortilla, roll, and place seam-side down in the pan. Repeat, laying enchiladas side by side till the pan is full and the mixture is gone.
- Using a paper towel, rub oil on tortillas.
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 min. or until tortillas are looking crispy and golden brown.
- Pour enchilada sauce over enchiladas and sprinkle the remaining cheese. Return to bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly (about 5-8 min).
Serve with hot sauce, sour cream, extra cheese, and your choice of pre-bagged salad!
Honestly I have done this with only an hour of marinating and it is still DELICIOUS
I (Rachel) LOVE THIS RECIPE. It is my favorite meal. I usually chop up three green peppers and an onion to roast along with the chicken. I have never grilled it but my mouth waters at the thought. Serve over a bed of rice with naan and salad. If you are really wanting to get fancy (my favorite way to make this meal) make your own tzatziki. (It really isn't as hard as it feels! ALSO I make this all the time with jarred dill and parsley to taste and it is still good!)
Wednesday- Chicken taco soup with tortilla chips
This is by far your EASIEST night of the week.
- Leftover chicken and stock from enchilada night
- 1 can of black beans
- ½ cup white rice
- 1 container chicken stock
- 1 bag tortilla chips
- 1 container of fresh pico de gallo (I usually get mild)
- Shredded Mexican cheese
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce
- Dump chicken mixture and chicken stock into a large pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add in ½ cup of white rice and return to a boil.
- Take pot down to a simmer for 10 min.
- Add in pico de gallo, and black beans.
- Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve with tortilla chips and top with optional toppings.
My favorite is a little lime, hot sauce, and a small amount of cheese!
Thursday: Butter chicken with rice and roasted broccoli
- Two heads of broccoli
- Olive oil
- 2 tsp. salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 425
- Cut broccoli into florets
- Toss in a bowl with salt and pepper
- Spread on a baking sheet and roast for 12 minutes
- Take out broccoli and stir it around
- Return to oven and roast for additional 12 minutes
You should see some good browning on bits!
Friday: Pizza, of course!
I have dubbed 2021 the year of pizza. My family has eaten so much pizza and I am ok with it. Pizza has honestly become a night to look forward to. It also helps me enjoy the weekend more when I know I don't have to cook or even really clean up!
Grab it from a local take out place, grocery store or even Dominoes! Dinner is served!
Look out for a future blog post COMPLETELY on pizza! HA!